Sunday, November 2, 2014

Thoughts On Rice



When and where I was raised, in the 1950's American West, rice was rice. I only remember having it dessert-like, warm with milk, sugar and raisins (which I picked out). I've wondered why the cooks in my family never considered using rice in casseroles or in other savory ways. 

My first foray into thinking of rice diversity was the Basmati rice in Indian food (I can taste the difference now from plain white rice). The second was the Arborio, an ingredient in a now favorite, Rice and Smothered Cabbage Soup, and suggested for the one risotto I ever made. A niece, who cooks a lot of rice, said that medium grain white rice can substitute for Arborio. 
I made .th soup once with medium grain white rice and it wasn't much different from using the Arborio. On hand, I currently have medium grain white rice, Arbor rice and Basmati rice. I'm going to make my cabbage rice soup today (delighted to find that Fred Meyer carries the required Savoy Cabbage).

Here is a post that offers a short tutorial on rice and its varied types for the rice-interested.
Rice Tutorial


I just subscribed to the site, www.Culinate.com. It looks like it has interesting food-related content and I'm going to look it over.

No comments: