Sunday, October 4, 2009

Amazing Left Over Veges Indian Style

One thing I’ve appreciated about Indian cuisine is how creatively vegetables are used. I could never imagine how vegetarians got much variety until I began to enjoy the rich variety and complex tastes of vegetable dishes created with Indian spices. One day I had some carrots and celery that I needed to use. I took a look through my repertoire of Indian recipes and actually figured this one out on my own. PCC stores have the needed spices, Garam Masala, cumin powder and chili powder, in bulk so you can buy just the amount you need inexpensively. Get your fresh ginger at a supermarket. If you don’t want to grate the ginger, most large supermarkets have small jars of already grated ginger in the produce section along side jars of already crushed garlic. When you prepare this dish, the aroma and the taste do things to carrots and celery you won’t imagine. My boat dock neighbors love it when I fix Indian dishes and often “stop by” to check out how things are going.

Amazing Left Over Veges Indian Style

4 carrots sliced into ¼’ rounds
2 celery stalks sliced diagonally
1 small tomato, coarsely chopped (I used a Roma tomato)
½ medium onion chopped
1 large garlic clove, crushed or ½ teas. from jar
1” to 1 ½” fresh ginger grated, or ½ teas. from jar
½ teaspoon Garam Masala
½ teas. cumin powder
¼ teas chili powder

Steam carrots or place covered by water in a microwave for about 6 minutes.

Heat 1 Tbsp. oil and a little butter in a frying pan. Add onion and celery and fry till onion turns translucent. Add garlic and ginger and stir fry for 1 minute making sure they don’t burn. Add spices and mix well. Add carrots and continue to stir fry until all are coated and flavorful.

You can substitute different vegetables for the celery and carrots. And, a cooking tip: You can freeze chunks of fresh ginger for very easy peeling and grating when you need them.

No comments: