Monday, January 3, 2011

Risotto Stuffed Peppers

With my foray into Indian Cuisine, I've developed a creativity in cooking that is carrying over into non Indian dishes. I had a couple nice bell peppers and I made packages of hamburger mixture that I had frozen last month (hamburger sauteed with celery, onion and garlic). Perfect for stuffed peppers but since recently tasting a bell pepper stuffed with a delicious risotto, that sounded boring. So, off I set to create a delicious risotto for my waiting peppers. I did choose to add some of the hamburger mixture to the risotto but it could have been served with out it.

The ideas of taking the time to carmelize the onion and the sauteeing the rice with the onion and garlic came from things I've learned creating Indian recipes. I, also, looked at four or five risotto recipes, took a little from each and added my own ideas. That confidence definately has come from my mastering an initial learning curve with the Indian Cuisine.

Here's my recipe.

Risotto Stuffed Bell Pepper

Ingredients:
4 large bell peppers (freeze extra stuffed peppers for easy suppers later).
1 cup brown rice or wild rice
1 cup diced tomatoes (I used canned)
3 Tablespoons butter, divided
1 small red onion
2 large cloves garlic
1 can chicken broth
Johnny’s Seasoning Salt
½ cup grated or finely chopped Provolone
A sprinkling of grated cheese of your choice for the top
I added in some precooked hamburger mixture (hamburger sauteed with onion, celery and garlic) leaving the risotto predominent. This could be left out.)

Instructions:
Rinse the rice, set aside. Chop onion fine. Melt 2 Tablespoons butter and sauté the onion until caramelized. Toward the end crush two large garlic cloves and sauté them with the onion. Add 1 Tablespoon butter and rice, make sure rice grains are coated and toasted a bit. Add Tomatoes and mix well. Transfer to a pot, add the chicken broth. When it cooks down a bit, add the Provolone. Season to taste with Johnny’s Seasoning Salt. Simmer until the broth is absorbed and the rice is tender but still has texture.

Core 4 large bell peppers. Fill with the rice. Bake at 400 for ½ hour or until peppers are tender. At end of baking melt some grated cheese of your choice on top. I used cheddar.

No comments: