Thursday, September 2, 2010

Whipping Up A Quick, Delicious Indian Dish On A Busy Thursday Night

I was in the mood for an Indian dish and I had some thawed frozen peas that needed using. But…it was Thursday night and I have an early appointment. How to concoct an Indian dish quickly and with easy clean up.

Keeping our large electric frying pan handy and easy to use is great.

I was building the dish around my peas.

I quartered 5 red potatoes and boiled them till done but firm.
I rinsed and put away the kettle.

First the triad, I only had a large red onion (I’d never used red onions) I went ahead and chopped half of it. I took 1 inch of a fat piece of ginger, peeled and grated it. I crushed two large garlic cloves. I did my triad chopping, grating and crushing on the same flexible cutting board.

For some reason I had a lot of celery so sliced two stalks into thin diagonals onto the cutting board.

Measured into a small dish ½ teas. Garam Masala, ½ teas. Cumin powder, ¼ teas. chili powder.

When potatoes were done, I heated 2 Tablespoons of vegetable oil into which went

the triad: ginger, onion and garlic with the addition of the celery.

Sautéing that until soft I enjoyed the aromas. When soft, I added the spices and mixed well.

Into that I dumped a 16 oz. can of diced tomatoes. Then I stirred in the potatoes and the 2/3 of a 16 oz bag of frozen peas that need using.

Salting to taste, I let it blend for a bit on medium heat while I quickly washed the cutting board, and small spice dish.

Serving myself in a bowl I topped it with about 1 Tablespoon melted butter.

It is truly comfort food. The only trouble with this dish is I’m eating too much, three bowls! It was so tasty. You may not believe it, but the way the spices blended they were really subtle.

What a way to “get your vegetables” and use up leftovers.

Boiling the potatoes took the most time. So if planning ahead for some busy evening dinners you might boil the potatoes ahead.

I keep diced tomatoes on hand.

I was caught short on onions (usually have sweet on hand). But, the red onion worked fine.

I happened to have a lot of celery on hand thus wanted to use some and it was a great addition.

Instead of peas, I could have added frozen or parboiled sliced carrots, cauliflower, broccoli or other vegetables. I could have used left over vegetables of any type.

I like the texture of the potato pieces in this dish. Wow, I can't think of an American dish that pairs potatoes with tomatoes?

I enjoyed making this and only had a cutting board, a tiny bowl for the spices, the potato boiling pan and the frying pan to clean up.

I’ve placed the left over’s (lots) in a zipping bag glad to have found a way to use my peas. I'll enjoy this again tomorrow and I’ll deliver some to Mina, my friend from Goa. I know she will appreciate the treat as I’ve appreciated her lessons in this delicious, intriguing cuisine.

Here's the ingredient list

5 red potatoes, quartered
1/2 to 2/3 of a 16oz. bag of frozen peas, (frozen or thawed). 2 stalks celery
1 16 oz. can diced tomatoes
2 Tablespoons vegetable oil for frying
1/2 onion, chopped
1" piece of fresh ginger peeled and grated (or 1/2 to 1 teaspoon pregrated ginger).
2 large or equiv. garlic cloves
1/2 teaspoon Garam Masala
1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
1/4 teaspoon chili powder

No comments: