Sunday, November 30, 2014

Amazing Soup from Left Overs - Just Add Some Crusty Bread for Dipping!

It's a cold day and I was in the mood for a comfort food, stick to your ribs soup. I somehow bought a 32 oz box of vegetable broth (generally only use chicken or beef broth) and was inspired to use it. A bowl of left over Indian spiced fresh green beans looked interesting in it's thick sauce of tomatoes/onions/garam masala/turmeric. I chopped the beans into 1/2 inch chunks and just used the sauce clinging to them. A couple of nice yams sat in the vegetable basket. Then there was two packages of a sausage/onion/hash brown mixture in the freezer.

Ingredients:
1 cup Indian green beans chopped into 1/2' piece
1/2 sweet onion chopped
2 large stalks celery chopped
1/2 large yam chopped into 1/2 chunks
2 teapoons thyme
 1 1/2 cup sausage/hash brown/onion mixture
1 32 oz. box Vegetable Broth
2 teaspoons Johnny's Seasoning or salt (or to taste)

My great left over Indian Style Green Beans seemed like a great base for a unique soup.  (2 lb. fresh green beans, 1 14 oz. can petite diced tomatoes drained, 1 chopped and sauteed sweet onion, 3 cloves garlic crushed, 1 teaspoon garam masala (more to taste), 1 teas. turmeric, salt to taste.)

I took out two packages of my sausage, onion, hash brown mixture and defrosted.

I chopped a sweet onion, some celery, garlic and the yam chunks. Sauteed them in olive oil with thyme.

Into my smaller crock pot with the vegetable broth went the green beans, sauteed onion/celery/garlic/yam mixture, the sausage mixture and seasoning salt.

Hey, I used left overs, things from the freezer and fresh vegetables...and it's delicious. I'm out to buy some crusty bread to dip into it. My Husband might even eat it if it comes with crusty bread for dipping.

Since I chopped up double the amount of the onion/celery/garlic/yam mixture have a bunch of ready that I'm freezing for future use in another interesting soup.




No comments: