Wednesday, November 12, 2014

More On A Whole Chicken in a Crockpot

Foster Farms Whole chickens were on sale for under a dollar a pound. My new habit is to buy one whenever I see them on sale and cook it in my crockpot. (see earlier post)

Wash, season and cook it breast down on low for 6 hours. I just did one and have to say we've enjoyed it in several ways.

  • I had a dinner of a leg thigh section when it was done. 
  • For next morning's breakfast I made white bread and mayonnaise (Best Foods) sandwiches. 
  • I then made a chicken salad with scallions, dill pickles, sweet pickles, pineapple (I didn't have my favorite dried cranberries and like a bit of sweetness in chicken salad), walnuts and celery. 
  • I took the meaty bones and a 32oz box of chicken broth and cooked overnight on low in the crockpot. Deboning the next morning I added the meat, and 2 cups water. In my electric frying pan I fried until softening: 1 chopped onion, chopped carrots, chopped celery, 1 Russet potato, chopped, a teaspoon of chopped garlic and 2 big pinches of Thyme. I added the vegetables to the broth and added a  handful of pearled barley. Simmering on high for about an hour it was soooooo tasty.



No comments: