Sunday, March 22, 2020

We Don't Like Things We Can't Resolve and Stories of Pizza and Oysters

We don't like things we can't "resolve"; that we can't find a safe or comfortable solution for. Most often we are faced with those kinds of situations when we are in a state of fear - like being hit with a life threatening illness or in the current situation. In this situation we are having to live with continuously changing frightening things over which we don't feel much control. We have to take care ourselves first.

I heard a line today that is very apropos for the times we are facing and the message I've been promoting...Almost everything will work again if you unplug it for a few minutes...including you.

Looks like the airport is almost empty. Choosing whether to go or not go somewhere isn't a singular conflict, it is inevitably going on in many, many households in our area and, inevitably, all over the country. And, remember, neither choice, going or not, will not feel "good". People have had plans and, looked forward to getting away, then this happened to concern them about travel and it came with frustration. When things like this happen, the ten-year-old in us starts "stomping his/her feet" angry about not getting to do what was looked forward to. It isn't going to do us any good, though, to obsess about the undesired change in life plans. The "live in the moment" thought I have shared is important here. Sit down, bring, your mind back out of the conflict, and begin thinking about what you are going to do instead to feel good, to treat yourself well and go forward in your life. 

I fried up some chicken strips last night with Panko and chicken thighs. I'm sitting here this morning with my coffee and munching cold chicken. I'm the type of person who loves cold pizza slices for breakfast, lol.That reminds me, for those of you for whom cooking is a good diversion I've posted my really yummy recipe for Shrimp and Portobello Pizza Splotches on a blog I've kept and am starting up again. Here's a link: https://ourpastourfuture.blogspot.com/2020/03/shrimp-and-portobello-pizza-splotches.html (And don't worry, people probably aren't hoarding Portobellos, lol)

Food! Comfort Food! It can be part of helping you cope. It's definitely what Hank would have been thinking about during the time of any crisis. On my way out of Trader Joe's yesterday I grabbed a bag of comfort food, Baked Cheese Crunchies. I love them and so do the two crows that visit me daily. I read an article on crow researchers who found that Cheese Puffs were a favorite of all crow snacks. I also treated myself to a tub of dark chocolate covered almonds (the crows aren't getting those). 


A funny thing happened while I was shopping TJ's the other day. After years of laughing at kale and kale eaters, (yes, there are people who are judging you for eating kale, get over it! ;- )) TJ's was demonstrating a salad mix that included kale and other really crunchy greens. The kit came with dried blueberries and nuts. It might have been the sweet dressing but I loved it and have since been buying said salad mix and adding fresh blueberries and some sliced almonds and pecans. And, last night's chicken strips were chopped up adding protein to said salad. Hank would probably be laughing at me for eating a salad mix with kale but, hey, I indulged him his anchovies and pickled fish! 

Ok, I have to tell you one more food story. When were first dating and dining at FX McRory’s on 4th Ave an amazing bistro and fine dining venue ( now closed, alas) that had the best Irish Coffee and Bouillabaisse in town, he wanted me to try raw oysters, "Think Ocean!, Think Ocean!" he encouraged with gusto as I, reluctant as I was, slurped down said bivalve. Oh My God...the taste, the texture, the whole experience is still one of my most horrible food memories. Years later I decided to make an old family favorite (my dad grew up on a farm) pickled tongue. You boil it, peel it, slice it and pickle it in a vinegar broth with onion slices. Hank eyed the whole process warily, now here's a guy who would eat anything. Remember Clinkerdagger Biggerstaff and Petts? His favorite dish was their Escargot Extraordinaire. Anyway back to tongue, after the slices were appropriately pickled it was time for him to try one...as he looked it over hesitantly, I couldn't help myself and encouraged with gusto, "Think Barnyard!...Think Barnyard!"

Stay hydrated (my new favorite libation is San Pellegriuno cans of carbonated Blood Orange juice. If sttress is rising, STOP, take a deep breath and do something to distract your mind. As often as you can, do what you feel like doing. The 10-year-old in you who would have been "stomping and upset" about not going on that trip, is feeling a little scared these days.  

No comments: