Sunday, March 22, 2020

Helping People Understand and Savoring Sunsets


It’s a sunny Sunday here on Lake Union in Seattle. A float plane is motoring by, heading for the top of the lake to take off; otherwise the lake is deserted but beautiful. Capitol Hill and Fremont look the same from my vantage point but I know that life amidst the dwellings and businesses there is different.

Speaking of how life is changing, are you paying attention to your local area Facebook pages? Some of you may not care about or be a part of social media, which I totally respect. I have been very limited in putting anything on a Facebook page I created a very long time ago. Facebook, Oh and a long forgotten Pinterest page I created (I wanted to share about my new hobby, at the time, of Indian cuisine), are the only social media presences I have. I do daily visit the neighborhood Facebook page, if there are ways we can help and if we are inclined to do so, locally might be the way to start.

I noticed on there that a “socially active” store down the street announced that they have face mask kits available free for those who sew. I may go down and pick one up as sewing is something I can, and enjoy doing. Maybe it will get me over my wimpyness about tackling my stateroom curtains, lol. I guess I’m encouraging, do what you feel comfortable doing, but do what you can.

On a serious note, this is Washington State and we aren’t formally shut down. I noticed a discussion of concern on the neighborhood Facebook page about a bonfire gathering of about 40 people noticed in a local area park. It brought to mind something our Governor said in some comments recently. I was prompted to post this on our local area Facebook page:

It's being said that some younger people are having a harder time taking the social distancing seriously and continuing to gather and ignore suggestions for helping stem the tide of this virus. Washington's governor made a comment in response to someone not knowing how to get across the seriousness of social distancing to a younger person who was basically saying "What price am I going to pay". His suggested answer was, "Possibly killing your grandparents."

It’s hard; some of us are older and have dealt with some of the harder more existential conundrums life faces us with. Hank and I always offered NeuroTherapy Training (the mental training approach we developed) free to those we could see with AIDS and cancer. It’s about using your mind to help the body and of critical importance it was about using the mind to manage fear. The hardest thing was seeing 20-year-olds with AIDS who had not had time to find their own pathways yet for helping them face the shunning of others out of fear and their own terrible fears of impending death. That is an existential crisis, facing the ultimate in fear with no tools or help in doing so.

I can’t imagine being in high school or college right now, for me it was a time of proms and sporting events and parties, for falling in love and looking forward to an exciting future. Young people don’t want to think about or have to respond to the dire issues of life. But, in this situation we have hope for it passing and life returning to normal. We all have to do what we can to help.

On a brighter note…


A long-time friend and photographer, Bill Hawkins, was at the Everett, WA marina the other evening at sunset and captured this scene:




I thank Bill for sharing, visually, the peacefulness of a quiet evening at sunset…beautiful sunsets are elements of life that “fuel our souls”. I have seen spectacular sunsets over the City of Seattle and Space Needle out my back door. I’m thinking of some of the people who will receive this…one enjoys them out an apartment window looking over Puget Sound...another I’m sure has enjoyed many from his fishing boat in Alaska…another while taking hikes among the hills above Issaquah…another while walking her beloved dog on beaches in the area…several on my list have enjoyed them while onboard boats in Puget Sound and beyond. From wherever you enjoy your sunsets, it’s days like these we need the beauty they provide and the peacefulness they stimulate.





No comments: